“In the 1890s, when Freud was in the dawn of his career, he was struck by how many of his female patients were revealing childhood [sexual] victimization to him. Freud concluded that child sexual abuse was one of the major causes of emotional disturbances in adult women and wrote a brilliant and humane paper called “The Aetiology of Hysteria.” However, rather than receiving acclaim from his colleagues for his ground-breaking insights, Freud met with scorn. He was ridiculed for believing that men of excellent reputation (most of his patients came from upstanding homes) could be perpetrators of incest.
Within a few years, Freud buckled under this heavy pressure and recanted his conclusions. In their place he proposed the “Oedipus complex,” which became the foundation of modern psychology… Freud used this construct to conclude that the episodes of abuse his clients had revealed to him had never taken place; they were simply fantasies of events the women had wished for… This construct started a hundred-year history in the mental health field of blaming victims for the abuse perpetrated on them and outright discrediting of women’s and children’s reports of mistreatment by men.”
― Lundy Bancroft
read this carve it into your brains permanently etch it into your skulls r e a d t h i s
i don’t know how to deal with this
(Source: womensliberationfront, via stelacestine)
8:00 pm • 1 September 2014
i refuse to be shamed for having a body. i refuse to get embarrassed when a tampon falls out of my purse or spend a whole day anxious about if someones going to notice that i forgot to shave a patch of leg hair. i wasnt put on this earth to spend my time apologizing for my existence and i refuse to let anyone make me feel like i have to waste my energy on all that petty shit
9:47 am • 1 September 2014
They actually let me play a demon at this year’s Dresden Files LARP. It’s a good thing I brought all that blood.
Apologies to everyone following my main tumblr for this repetitive octodemon action.
6:17 pm • 31 August 2014
So if y’all haven’t heard about Pumpkin Online yet…
It’s time to EDUCATE YO’SELF.
pumpkinonline is a farming and dating RPG game (inspired by Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, if you’re into that) currently in the works. It’s gonna be the BEST DAMN MMORPG ON THE INTERWEBS, and I’ll tell you why:
- it will feature NPCs of multiple skin tones, physical ability levels, and body types.
- Character creation will feature MANY more skin tones than most RPGs allow (the creators are even designing a character with vitiligo).
- You won’t have to choose your character’s gender until AFTER YOU’VE CREATED YOUR AVATAR, so trans* and nonbinary characters will be not only encouraged, but freaking possible. Your character can have any body you want—from rail-thin to “chubby”, big breasted or flat-chested, muscular or wiry—and THEN you get to choose how they identify.
- Your character can date or marry any NPC or player character in the game world, regardless of body or gender. Multiple player characters can date the same NPC and each play as if they are the only character dating that NPC.
- Into polyamory? Cool! You can date multiple NPCs in the game without drama, and will also be able to negotiate polyamorous relationships with other players in the game who are into it too!
- Asexual/aromantic? Also cool! Dating isn’t required in the game, and physical affection is mostly just implied rather than explicitly shown. You can farm to your heart’s content and make best friends with NPCs and other characters if that’s all you want to do.
- The head of the design team for the game is an African-American woman. Supporting diversity in gaming companies FTW.
- Speaking of the design team, they have been super helpful and responsive to people who want representation in the game. If you look at what’s being designed and you feel left out for some reason, contact them and they’ll try to fix it!
The reason I’m putting so much effort into this post is because Pumpkin Online, this massively inclusive and positive (and fun looking!) game is still in the fundraising process. They have 20 days (as of today) to raise $22,000 for the project. They have staggered levels of rewards on Kickstarter; a minimum $20 donation will get you beta access to the game. If you want this game to become a real thing, go donate here or at least signal boost the pumpkin guts out of this. Please. For me.
2:13 am • 31 August 2014